Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

For Olivia - July 2012

Dear Olivia,

I can't believe you turned nine months old yesterday. And when you woke up this morning, it's like I could actually see that you'd grown up a little more. You're so strong and independent, and yet you love being in your mama or dada's arms more than anywhere else. Your next favorite places to be are standing next to the open shelves in the kitchen, quickly throwing as many items as you can to the floor before you're caught, and standing next to the bathtub, slapping your cute chubby palms on the porcelain and waiting for me to come turn on the water (whether it's bath time or not).

You are physically very strong and coordinated. You started crawling about the third week in May and you've been unstoppable ever since. Just yesterday, you crawled up the stairs all by yourself (with daddy spotting you, of course). About a week or two after you started crawling, you began pulling yourself up to a standing position against any table, chair, or wall in the house. Since we've moved home, you love to pull yourself up and stand against the glass storm door and gaze outside at the big world. You also love to walk around the perimeter of the coffee table. Today at church, I let you "walk" around the foyer while I held your arms. I predict you'll be walking on your own in the next month or so.

You LOVE music. Not surprising since it's in your blood. Anytime you hear music, or even just any sort of rhythm or beat, your little head starts bobbing in perfect time. It's like you just can't help yourself--it's almost a reflex. I can't decide if there's a particular type of music you have a knack for yet. I make sure to expose you to the best classical composers as well as my musical theatre favs. And your daddy's got you covered with classic and alternative rock...not to mention his subconscious compulsion/talent for drumming a beat on any and every surface around him. But you definitely respond most noticeably when the music has a pronounced beat. We always take you to ward choir practice with us. Today you just smiled at the conductor as you bobbed your head to the music. You even started to wave your hands in imitation of hers. She was so taken by you. A couple of weeks ago when the choir performed in Sacrament Meeting, your daddy held you in his arms the entire time we performed and you didn't make a peep. I'd say we're training you young. :) But I think you're destined for a love affair with music. This makes my heart happy.

You have been totally disinterested in baby food for the last month. I can hardly get you to eat the purees anymore. And I think it's OK since you have six teeth. You can handle some more substance. So we've branched out to small, soft pieces of whole fruit--like pears and mandarin oranges. You love cottage cheese. You get excited when I even get the container out of the fridge. I think you're going to be a dairy girl. You love yogurt and mooching a few bites of my rice pudding when you see me eating it. You would never eat the pureed meats, so we've done small pieces of chicken, turkey, and beef. You love to feed yourself. Most of the time, if I try to feed you something with my hand, you grab it out of my hand to inspect it first before insisting that you put it in your mouth yourself. You love to eat whatever we're eating. So I do my best to cook food for us that's appropriate for you.

You still love your time nursing with mama. I call myself your "human pacifier." Sometimes, only nursing will calm you down or help you sleep. I don't stress about it. I know you'll grow past it when you're ready and I want to do what makes you feel secure and happy. It's funny when you do find one of the two pacifiers we have lying around the house. It's more of a toy for you to bite and chew on for a few minutes and then leave behind. And you're fascinated by your cousin Brigham's binky--always trying to pull it out of his mouth for yourself--which is funny because I could never get you to take a binky or a bottle yourself. Not sure how we're going to transition to cow's milk at 12 months, because you are not at all interested in a sippy cup either. I'm hoping by then, you'll be more ready. Although, I can get you to drink water and juice out of a regular cup. Maybe we'll just skip straight to that.

You're often a very somber child. You love to just stare at the people and things around you. You'll stare and stare, often not blinking for a long while. You make the most adorable quizzical look when a stranger talks to you for the first time. You seem very wary of everyone's intentions.

But not with Halle. Oh how you love to laugh with and at your sister. You two have a very special bond. She takes very good care of you and is a fierce protector. She lives to make you smile and laugh. You love to splash in the water together at bath time and we all enjoy a good game of "Leap Frog" in the basement, in which Halle hops across pillows and couch cushions as we "chase" after her. (I help you out with the hopping part.)

And my goodness you are snuggly. I adore the quiet moments we have together in the mornings, just being sleepy and cuddled up together. My heart melts when you bury your little head in my chest and snuggle up as close as you can. I'm so grateful for the many wonderful moments we've shared in your little life thus far.

You love to coo and babble with the best of them. And I love to see that toothy grin when you're in your happiest mood. You're a pretty even-tempered baby and you don't fuss much--except for the normal reasons (hungry, tired, teething, etc.). We've been working on signing, and so far, you can use the ones for milk and more. You're a smarty.

I love you so much, pretty girl. I'm so blessed to be your mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment